Port update outdated problem.

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Nov 20 00:24:56 PST 2014

Hi,

----- On 20 Nov, 2014, at 03:14, Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com wrote:

> It would seem to me that if there were a general problem with changes to the
> database software, I should have seen delays when the 15 outdated software
> packages were processed before processing the boost package.

The slowness occurs because a database query uses an index to select all files
installed by the port currently being processed and then continues to scan over
this list for a specific entry.

Obviously, for ports that install less than, let's say, a thousand files, this
causes the database software to do a scan across 1000 items 1000 times (once
for each file we're activating). Of course now with boost, which installs some
35k files, that's 35k^2. You see where this is going…

--
Clemens Lang