Ntp -- getting it to work

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 06:58:50 PST 2014

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 10:01 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the system's ntp?

For what it's worth, starting with 10.8 I've been seeing the clock go out
of sync a lot. On my current 10.9 the system usually ends up 2 minutes
ahead of my other ntp-synced devices.

I've been watching on my 10.9 to see what it is doing. It seems like it
initially locks to the servers the way I'd expect, and then lets go of it
and every 10 minutes checks whether it's near the server time and if it's
far enough out it resyncs just enough to fi the time and then desyncs
again, apparently deliberately. (As seen in mtpq -p: "reach" eventually
reaches 377, stays there for about 5 minutes, then drops to 1 and stays
there. "when" afterward counts up to somewhere a little over 1000 with
offset and jitter not changing, then they change and "when" resets.)

I am rather tempted to switch to ports ntpd myself, watching this. But it
looks like Apple's ntpd is the normal one and not one of the alternatives
that don't condition the clock fully (openntpd, various sntp
implementations)? It's just not behaving like I expect ntpd to behave.