Ntp -- getting it to work

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 14:41:39 PST 2014

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday November 22 2014 20:10:08 Michael wrote:
> > Pacemaker wants to skew the system clock.
> No, you misread (and Apple's grammar is no longer what it used to be) ...
> : "By default, pacemaker will call adjtime(2) once per second to *slew* the
> system clock" :D
>
> Is there any reason to have both services running? Can't you just unload
> the pacemaker plist and let ntpd handle things like the big boy it is on
> othe OSes?

"Skew" is also accurate since it is effectively undoing ntpd's work. :)

FWIW I disabled pacemaker here and it solved the problem of ntpd not being
able to adjust the clock (pacemaker was apparently undoing it). But it is
still not *syncing* the clock after the initial sync, it is building up
delays over time and then fixing them all at once, like it thinks it's an
ntpdate cron job. Apple's config doesn't seem to do anything to make this
happen....