Ntp -- getting it to work

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 17:42:06 PST 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:38 AM, Hinckley Dan <dbh at suiattle.org> wrote:

> On 23  Nov 2014, at 17:50, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> So I will kill off Apple's foo and use ntpd from ports, I think. It may
> not "save battery", but last I checked iMacs did not have batteries. :)
>

> For the less expert among us, how do you “kill off Apple’s foo”?

    sudo launchctl unload -w
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.pacemaker.plist
    sudo launchctl unload -w
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.ntp.ntpd.plist

Also: having now shut off Apple's fake ntpd as well as pacemaker as above,
and activated MacPorts' ntpd (sudo port install ntp && sudo port load ntp),
my system is keeping time properly. Note that this *is* going to be fairly
expensive if you use a laptop on battery; you can try to get a better read
on your system's clock drift (instead of that established on shiny new
hardware, which may change significantly with a couple weeks of use) and
use the Apple approved stuff:

    sudo launchctl
unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.pacemaker.plist
    sudo rm /etc/ntp.drift
    sudo launchctl stop org.ntp.ntpd
    # wait an hour or so for ntpd to establish the current drift
    sudo
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.pacemaker.plist