FOR FUTURE REFERENCE: when rsync.macports.org is down hard...

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Nov 24 13:17:49 PST 2014

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

> There's no particular reason to stick with the "primary" MacPorts
> servers, if you find a mirror that works better for you. I'm not aware
> of problems with any of the mirrors. If you're not in North America, you
> might even benefit from switching sources permanently.

Seeing as MacPorts is based upon FreeBSD ports, perhaps it could copy the
latter's trick of trying servers one by one?

A minor problem with FreeBSD is that should an ISP-assigned DNS server
report an error, said ISP helpfully redirects you elsewhere, but luckily
FreeBSD handles this stupidity (I'm looking at you, BigPond Australia).

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)