{distfiles,packages,rsync,trac}.macports.org are back up (eom)

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Nov 27 11:01:47 PST 2014

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014, Rainer Müller wrote:

> > Out of curiosity, why this sudden instability?
>
> This is something the server admins at Mac OS Forge should answer and I
> added them to CC in this message.

Thanks; it's not a good look for those new to MacPorts.

> I saw multiple reports due to unreachable servers over the last weeks.
> We either need to stop that from happening or make the sync/selfupdate
> process more reliable with an automatic fallback to other mirrors.

Which reminds me: I erred in a previous post about Mac/FreeBSD ports
recovering in the face of "helpful" ISPs interfering with the DNS; FreeBSD
merely keeps trawling through a local list (updated every so often) until
it gets a bite, ignoring any silly responses along the way.

I really must set up my own name server, instead of relying upon my broken
ISP (they are The Phone Company, after all, and own all of the
infrastructure).

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)