2.3.3 build fails on Linux

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 09:33:03 PST 2014

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 12:27 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday November 28 2014 11:14:38 Brandon Allbery wrote:
> >On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >So I find at http://www.cocotron.org that you are supposed to not only
> >install the frameworks, but also a modified binutils that supports
> >Apple-style framework options. http://www.cocotron.org/Tools/
>
> Interesting, I missed that. A bit surprising though because the docs and
> scripts provided to build for/on Linux don't mention this, and you end up
> with regular .so libraries.
> BTW, are you sure those are not for OS X, to allow cross-compiling. From
> the little I used

"The Cocotron proper is only source code to a runtime, without a compiler
and sufficient tools this is relatively useless, so the project also
maintains The Cocotron Developer Tools (CDT)"

A linker with framework support would appear to be one of those tools. That
said, if it is possible to build it not as a framework then it's on you to
figure out (a) how you link against these frameworks (b) how to teach
programs that know that these libraries are frameworks, that they are not.