Why I Run Old System Software

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 19:18:06 PDT 2014

(On the thread about the bash function problem, someone asked why the
fellow runs such an old version of OS X.)

I myself generally delay upgrading the system software on any platform
I am developing for, so as to ensure that the code I write runs well
on old systems.

This so I won't be requiring my users to upgrade their own operating
systems to run my code.

That's not the way it's commonly practiced in commercial software
development.  Apple wants to move iDevices, so Apple does everything
in its power to get third-party developers to write products that only
run on the latest platforms.

I find that practice _profoundly_ offensive.

My Mom spent a lot of money for her Tiger G4 iMac back in 2002 or so.
To this day it is in mint condition, there is nothing whatsoever wrong
with it, however she has increasing annoyances such as, for example,
SSL certs going past her expiry so that she's peppered with warnings
about insecure websites.

There's really no good reason that updated certs could not be
installed, but were apple to provide those certs, then she wouldn't be
purchasing an Intel Core iMac.

Mike
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail.com
http://www.warplife.com/mdc/

   Available for Software Development in the Portland, Oregon Metropolitan
Area.