End of Python 2.4–2.6 and 3.1–3.3 support

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 04:38:01 PDT 2014

On Saturday October 11 2014 06:27:33 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> What exactly do you mean by "cleaning up"? I've already seen many commits go through with old python ports being added to the new "py-graveyard" port. This should facilitate upgrades by making the old ports "replaced_by" the new versions. The old ports will show up in "port outdated", and the user can upgrade them with "sudo port upgrade outdated". The method for the user to uninstall the old versions would be the same as it's always been, e.g. "sudo port uninstall inactive".

I think the issue is having the interpreter version in the port name, e.g. p5.12-X . This has caused me problems doing upgrade outdated because  the version change didn't automatically translate to different port names for the dependencies. Can't really describe it precisely, but in the end I had to force-uninstall all p5.12 ports and then let the dependency tracker do its magic to install current versions of the missing dependencies.

BTW, port uninstall inactive is nice and well, but it also gets rid of ports you want to keep around in order to be able to switch back to an older version if needed. What's missing there is a way to "hold" a port, so that uninstall inactive won't touch it.

R.