Why I Run Old System Software

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Oct 11 04:49:56 PDT 2014

On Oct 11, 2014, at 4:31 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

>> No. Snow Leopard no longer receives updates of any sort, and Lion will
>> likely follow as soon as Yosemite drops.
>> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222
>
> I see they still haven't produced an EOL statement (is 10.6 Server still for sale??), we just have to deduce the fact for ourselves.

Rumor says yes, Mac OS X 10.6 is still for sale by phone. Call the Apple Store at 1-800-MY-APPLE in the US, or try the Apple Store in your country if you're elsewhere. You can buy either the client or the server version, so be sure to specify. I also have some retail boxes of 10.6 Server I'd be willing to sell; you can email me off-list if you want one.

> That said, we cannot really complain that 10.6 was EOLed as soon as 10.7 came out.

Updates for 10.6 continued until 10.9 came out.

> And 10.6 still has Rosetta (and frankly, how much would it have cost to provide that tech as an optional install?)

My understanding is that Rosetta was closely integrated into the OS X kernel, and that changes in the kernel in Lion broke Rosetta. Rather than fix Rosetta, they decided to discontinue it.