Why I Run Old System Software

Dominik Reichardt domiman at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 14:25:36 PDT 2014

> On 11.10.2014, at 21:22, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> But now 10.6 has less of the automation and integration we love from OS X. Using its Safari is now strongly discouraged because of security flaws. I absolutely need two independent browsers, and I won't install a Google product on my machines. I can't launch two Firefox profiles in the same user session. And I need one of these browsers to be very fast.

Curios, I saved C.T.’s actual email to reply to this point but it got somehow lost in my inbox…

Anyway, if I don’t understand you completely wrong, you can easily launch two firefox sessions on OS X with each using a different profile.
Firefox profiles are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles.

I use two profiles, the default one that gets used automatically when you start Firefox (profile name: default) and another one called “test”.

To launch Firefox with a specific profile launch it with
/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -no-remote -P profilename

I use an apple script with just the command
do shell script "/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -no-remote -P test  &> /dev/null &”

Worked for me since OS X 10.6.
Just now I found that the -no-remote switch might no longer be necessary. It used to be important so that the second instance would really use the profile set with -P and not the profile of the already running instance. Might be that this has changed in the last five/six years.

And sorry if I misunderstood you.

Take care

Dominik