Problem with $DISPLAY

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 03:22:39 PDT 2014

On Friday October 17 2014 01:40:23 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

> Correct, but if you're (a) formatting a disk and (b) choosing HFSX+ (case-sensitive HFS+), you know what's up. New Macs are already set up with HFS+, and I don't want anyone with the default filesystem to accidentally trash anything because they think they can swap case with reckless abandon.

It's been a while since I checked, but isn't it possible to go from the one to the other by swapping a switch with the right tool, without needing to reformat the whole partition? (As to HFSX vs HFS: I don't think that's what defines case-sensitivity, but the HFSX term has been used a little to carelessly to be sure).

In any case, you won't trash anything by converting a fs to case-sensitive, it's the opposite step that can lead to aliasing.
Of course it's not perfectly clear what a converter should do with an item foo and Foo both resolving to the same object on a  case-insensitive FS ... hard link them? Duplicate? Soft link?

> The only exception is the Mac, and it's a little late changing it after the installation with which it came.

Not if it can be done like journaling (i.e. just toggle a switch) but there used to be a time when it was unwise to have a case-sensitive boot partition. I still stick to that because I probably still have apps around that assuming they're on a case-insensitive fs. (IIRC Adobe apps were good at that.) However, all my other (non {FAT,exFat,NTFS} volumes are case-sensitive, because that's the way things ought to be for me.

R.