Problem with $DISPLAY

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Oct 17 13:18:11 PDT 2014

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

[ Making a file-system case-sensitive, as Ken and Dennis intended ]

> I don't know of a free solution, but iPartition from Coriolis Systems
> does this. It's among the few utility software I actually bought a
> license of (among with their iDefrag and Disk Warrior) and my go-to tool
> when I want to be sure a new disk is partitioned as closely as possible
> to how *I* want it.

I'll keep that in mind; I do actually *buy* software from time to time
(such as iStat, which is brilliant; I didn't know that my CPU was hitting
103° when compiling libffg, for example), and Pages.

And to make matters worse, when I discovered that "ls -f" is essentially
ignored I knocked up a little C program (called "dir" from my CP/M days,
although I should've called it "DIR") that does what it's told i.e. list
the files as they appeared in the directort.

It worked for Snow Leopard, but Mavericks appears to have "fixed" it.

> > Case-sensitivity is the only way to go; this is POSIX, not MS-DOS.
>
> Contract Apple and POSIX and you get APPOSIX -> APOSIX ... something NOT
> Posix :-/

Oh dear...

> The worst part is that the fs could have been properly case-sensitive,
> but filename matching done with our with respecting case on an
> application-to-application basis (via a switch in the InfoDict).

Amen.  This is egregious breakage on a massive scale, and something that I
would expect from MickeySoft.

For some reason I am reminded of a quote from Douglas Adams (RIP):

    "We demand rigidly defined areas of uncertainty and doubt."

Broomfondel, I think it was.

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU)
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html