Yosemite, XCode 6.1?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Oct 18 21:50:41 PDT 2014

In article <F763BD5F-40F8-4B30-9A3A-2D7628A09687 at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>,
 Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Its quite simple, you need the OSX 10.10 SDK, which is only available in
> Xcode 6.1, which for whatever reason is not released yet. You need to wait
> for it....

The reason, I think, is that Xcode 6.0.x was released to support iOS 8
when iOS 8 was released so it does not include an OS X 10.10 SDK since
10.10 wasn't released at that point yet.  Xcode 6.1 will support iOS 8.1
which apparently is anticipated to release on Monday 10/20 US time so I
would expect to see Xcode 6.1 released via the Mac App Store then as
well.

Apparently, Apple decided (somewhat understandably) that it wasn't worth
the effort to rev bump Xcode 6.0.x just to include a 10.10 SDK just for
the four days between the release of 10.10 and the release of 8.1 and
they didn't want to publicly pre-release an 8.1 SDK.  Thus we're in this
weird limbo state - unless you are a member of one of the (paid) Apple
Developer programs that give non-disclosure access to pre-releases.  Why
Apple chose to not release 10.10 and 8.1 simultaneously may never be
known but it could just be they didn't want to overload the Interwebz
and/or their support organizations.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org