MacPorts 2.3.2 and "port provides"

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Sun Oct 19 13:52:24 PDT 2014

On Oct 19, 2014, at 19:22 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2014, at 5:40 PM, Greg Earle wrote:
>
>> I just did a selfupdate to 2.3.2, and when I try to run
>>
>> sudo port provides /private/opt/local/<some/path>
>>
>> it always says
>>
>> /private/opt/local/<some/path> is not provided by a MacPorts port, e.g.
>
> MacPorts should be in /opt/local, not /private/opt/local.
>
> Is it possible that /opt is a symlink to /private/opt?  Ancient versions of the Cisco VPN installer were known to have moved /opt to /private/opt, then placed a symlink at /opt.

That was it.  Thanks Ryan.  Good spotting!

[13:26] nightowl:~/Desktop % ls -l /opt
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  12 Sep 19  2009 /opt@ -> /private/opt

My work's old 2009 distribution of the Cisco VPN client biffed it.

[13:51] nightowl:/ % sudo port provides /opt/local/sbin/sasldblistusers2        /opt/local/sbin/sasldblistusers2 is provided by: cyrus-sasl2

Ahhh.  All better now.  Thanks again.

	- Greg