"Updating database of binaries" step very slow under Yosemite?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 12:34:56 PDT 2014

On Wednesday October 22 2014 11:01:14 Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> Perhaps we can better judge the time spent scanning binaries if we had a final count indicating how many were scanned.
>
> I suspect that sometimes, such as when a build fails, all the successfully installed dependents have not been scanned. Only once a successful build occurs do all "new" binaries get added, right?

Also, I think it's a bit (much) overkill to scan all binaries when installing a new or upgrading an existing port. In principle MacPorts knows which ports depend on which other ports, and it knows what files a port contains. So it shouldn't be overly difficult to scan only likely candidates for potential dependency issues after an install or upgrade, and make the full, in-depth scan something the user can execute when required (e.g. when instructed to do so as part of a trouble-shooting procedure).

I find that very often I simply interrupt the scanning process because I don't want to have to wait for it.

R.