"Updating database of binaries" step very slow under Yosemite?

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Wed Oct 22 15:00:29 PDT 2014

On Oct 22, 2014, at 5:53 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
>> 1- This release of OSX TIGHTLY integrates local I/O with iCloud (i.e. network) I/O. This implies that there was probably some significant work done in the Kernel Level I/O routines.
>
> I am under the impression that this integration is not at the kernel level, but the framework level. Things like tcl that use BSD APIs instead of CoreFoundation and friends should not be affected.

As far as I'm aware, iCloud is NOT a kernel-level technology. OS X talks to iCloud when you choose to save things to iCloud / iCloud Drive (the contents of which are cached locally in a specific location). Otherwise it does not use iCloud.

It's entirely possible that something else I/O-related has changed in Yosemite that is having an impact. For instance, the boot volume is converted to a Core Storage logical volume on upgrade.

We still don't know what (if anything) is causing the issue. Craig's experience on Snow Leopard makes me think that it may not be a system-level thing.

vq