controlling Macports version of Apache2

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 18:33:42 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 8:34 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
> > On Oct 23, 2014, at 7:09 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> port notes installed
> >
> > Aha useful.
> >
> > Except that Apache2 yields:
> >
> > "apache2 has no notes."
>
> I am fairly certain that I recalled instructions in the re-installation
> process (post Yosemite) of Apache2 on how to start and stop Apache2.

Sadly, there are still ports which use ui_msg in their postinstall
sections, which can only be found after the fact by manually inspecting
their Portfiles. (I ran into another one, xinit, earlier today.)

Clearly Apachectl does not work. (/usr/sbin/apachectl)
> It expects to run /usr/sbin/httpd as its binary

I would have expected the apache2 ports to install
/opt/local/sbin/apachectl, possibly with a version appended. But looking at
the apache2 Portfile, it appears to actually be
/opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl. (This path should have been visible in
the plist you found.)