controlling Macports version of Apache2

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Thu Oct 23 19:43:00 PDT 2014

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 9:55 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
> Finding /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl was "obvious." But not from any pllist file.
>
> Looking at that file and comparing it with Apple's they are significantly different.
> I.e. /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl  contains no reference to a plist file, OR the use of launchctl. It looks like a non-Apple oriented, plain Unix start file.

> Other way around: the MacPorts launchd plist uses apachectl to actually start the web server, as indicated by the apache2 Portfile. apachectl itself does not reference launchd, it is referenced *by* launchd via the plist.

That is the set of instructions I was looking for... I know I've seen them someplace, but cannot find them anywhere!
I don't see them in the Portfile for apache2. Maybe they have just gotten lost in an upgrade.

They should be something like:

sudo /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2/apache2.wrapper stop
sudo /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2/apache2.wrapper start
sudo /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2/apache2.wrapper restart

It's not the most obvious thing in the world.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10 OSX Server (now dead)

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com