controlling Macports version of Apache2

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Thu Oct 23 19:32:49 PDT 2014

At 9:52 PM -0400 10/23/14, William H. Magill wrote:
>  > On Oct 23, 2014, at 9:33 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
>>  On Oct 23, 2014, at 8:34 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
>  > > On Oct 23, 2014, at 7:09 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Clearly Apachectl does not work. (/usr/sbin/apachectl)
>>  It expects to run /usr/sbin/httpd as its binary
>>
>>  I would have expected the apache2 ports to install
>>/opt/local/sbin/apachectl, possibly with a version appended. But
>>looking at the apache2 Portfile, it appears to actually be
>>/opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl. (This path should have been
>>visible in the plist you found.)
>
>Finding /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl was "obvious." But not from
>any pllist file.

The launchd plist's for system-wide services like Apache2 are in
'/Library/LaunchDaemons':

$ ls -l /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2.plist
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  76  4 Jun 14:32
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2.plist ->
/opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2/org.macports.apache2.plist

You can 'cat' the plist file to see what it is doing.  In this case,
it calls a wrapper script.

Craig