controlling Macports version of Apache2

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 23 20:36:07 PDT 2014

On Oct 23, 2014, at 9:54 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM, William H. Magill wrote:
>> At one time there were instructions in the port on how to start and stop the Apache server -- they are now missing.
>
> Actually, the way you are *supposed* to do it --- and I suspect this will infuriate you --- is
>
>     sudo port load apache2      # tell launchd to start it
>     sudo port unload apache2    # tell launchd to stop it

Right. And to complete the trifecta, to restart the server, kill the master httpd process and launchd will relaunch it for you.

MacPorts would have printed instructions about how to load this port when you installed the port. This function is provided by MacPorts base automatically for all ports that use the startupitem keywords. However there is presently no way to re-print the messages at a later time, without reinstalling the port. You have to pay attention to these messages when installing ports.