Successful upgrade to Yosemite

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Oct 25 07:55:16 PDT 2014

With the various sob stories heard here about a bollixed upgrade, I
thought I may as report success.

Having Mavericks 10.9.5 (and 10.9.4 before that, and Snow Leopard 10.6.8
before that), it went like a dream, costing me three hours, a few cups of
coffee, and a massive hole in my ADSL budget (to the extent that I'd
brick-walled it, and now I'm throttled back to 256MB/s).

Didn't like the garish colours, but found the "dark" option, courtesy of
the GottaBeMobile site.  Not too fond of the new Calendar either, but what
the hell; a change is as good as a holiday, as they say.  The new
Reminders is a bit spiffy.

Looks like my Apple ID has changed once again, and I had to use my Yahoo
address this time, as all my other ones were taken.  Odd.

Went to disable iCloud (I simply don't trust it, based on confirmed
stories I've heard about Yosemite snitching to Apple even when privacy is
requested - see https://github.com/fix-macosx/yosemite-phone-home) and it
threatened to delete all my documents on the Mac, so I'll look at that one
later.

Usual relativistic time-dilation effects, such as "about a second" taking
a minute or more, but I'm used to that now.

Already had MacPorts 2.3.2 (installed earlier), and Xcode 6.1 had already
made itself at home, but MacPorts is still rebuilding itself many hours
later (probably because of my now crippled ADSL link).

Copious use of Time Machine being made, and just as well because I'd
deleted a document I thought I was copying inside TextEdit.

Getting various installation notes during the build, which I've probably
lost in my scroll-back buffer.  I wish these were squirreled away
somewhere, with a note at the end saying "Please see blah blah for post
installation notes" or something; now I'll never find 'em, so they'd
better not be important.

Keep getting a pop-up to do with Java being required for some site or
other, but that could be Firefox in the background.

Keep seeing warnings about "Warning: Deactivate forced.  Proceeding
despite dependencies." here and there; dunno what they mean.

Anyway, no show-stoppers as such, and MacPorts is still beating away at
an awesome 256MB/s.

Oh, and I turned 62 today.

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)