Successful upgrade to Yosemite

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sat Oct 25 11:41:43 PDT 2014

> On Oct 25, 2014, at 10:55 AM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> With the various sob stories heard here about a bollixed upgrade, I
> thought I may as report success.

I don't think this upgrade cycle has been worse than any previous one. People have very short memories.

> Getting various installation notes during the build, which I've probably
> lost in my scroll-back buffer.  I wish these were squirreled away
> somewhere, with a note at the end saying "Please see blah blah for post
> installation notes" or something; now I'll never find 'em, so they'd
> better not be important.

In general, if a port spits out text during installation that can't be recalled with "port notes", that's a bug and you should report it.

One awkward exception are the messages about "port load" that are printed while installing ports with StartupItems. These messages are generated by base, so they're not available through "port notes". We should probably do something about that.

> Keep getting a pop-up to do with Java being required for some site or
> other, but that could be Firefox in the background.

This often appears when configure scripts invoke /usr/bin/java or /usr/bin/javac while probing the system. You can ignore it.

> Keep seeing warnings about "Warning: Deactivate forced.  Proceeding
> despite dependencies." here and there; dunno what they mean.

Sounds like you're running "port upgrade" instead of following the official migration instructions. Note that we don't really support this, and if you run into any non-trivial problems, the first thing we're going to tell you to do is follow the migration instructions.

> Oh, and I turned 62 today.

An unorthodox way of celebrating, but to each their own. Congrats!

vq
Sent from my iPhone