Puppet 3.x

Nigel Kersten nigel at explanatorygap.net
Sun Oct 26 03:01:31 PDT 2014

(replying again as I hadn't realized I'd actually unsubscribed from the
user list)

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2014, at 5:52 AM, Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
>
> > Are there any ETAs when Puppet 3.x will be available via MacPorts?
>
> I don't see any activity in the ticket:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44133
>
> If the maintainer doesn't respond, you could provide an updated portfile
> yourself.

I really haven't been maintaining this for years Behrang, which is why I
set it to open maintainer and have tried to encourage various people over
the years. I should probably just remove myself as I'm not being a
maintainer in any useful sense.

I'm no longer using MacPorts at a large scale, and am somewhat ashamed to
say I've jumped ship to Homebrew for my personal Mac software needs, which
are pretty minimal these days as I do all my development in Linux vagrant
boxes. I'm not a huge fan of Homebrew (did we really need another port
system?) but it's what most of my co-workers use, so I'm following the herd.

I can't imagine it's a very difficult port, but you're the first person to
nag about it in a long time, and there obviously isn't a huge pent-up
demand.

The Mac pkgs for Puppet that we distributed at Puppet Labs are pretty good
these days, and are my first goto for Puppet on OS X.

However I'm happy to dredge through my memory and give someone a hand
bootstrapping themselves into being the new maintainer and moving this onto
Puppet 3.x.