GIMP 2.8.14 on Yosemite Does Not Recognize Image File Types

Jeff Singleton gvibe06 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 18:15:23 PDT 2014

On 10/26/14, 8:07 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2014, at 6:52 PM, Jeff Singleton wrote:

>>> My first suspicion would be that using the +quartz variant may be responsible.
>>> Of course, undoing that selection is not so easy, since it may be any one of gimp's dependencies, and not just gimp itself, that needs to be rebuilt without the +quartz variant to fix this.
>>
>> Aww man...don't say that. I hate the X11 way. I don't know why, it just
>> bugs me when X11 has to launch before launching any Apps that rely on
>> it. I don't mind recompiling everything, but I just can't bring myself
>> to use X11 on my Mac.
>
> I understand and feel the same way, but many projects don't test their Quartz mode as thoroughly, and it's not the default in MacPorts either, which adds up to there being issues sometimes, which is why it would be the first place I'd look as the culprit for the issue you're seeing. If you can confirm that, then you could report the bug to the developers. Well, you can and should report the problem to them in any case, but it may help them if you can isolate what's causing the problem.
>

>> Keep in mind, this only started on Yosemite. Everything worked great
>> under Mavericks.
>
> I thought you said you weren't using the +quartz variant on Mavericks?
>
> If the differences between when it worked and when it didn't work are 1) you upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite, and 2) you switched to using the +quartz variant, then the latter is the change I'd most likely suspect.

Hmm...my bad if I wasn't clear. I have always used +quartz, pretty much
since Snow Leopard...even venturing outside of MacPorts for a bit, by
manually download/compile/installing everything.

I am doing some rebuilds with keep_logs enabled and debugging enabled to
see if I can isolate things before jumping to recompiling.

I will reply again if I find anything and will use all of the info I
collect for my bug report.

Thanks,
Jeff