xemacs crashes with SIGSEGV on Mavericks for C files

Siegmar Gross Siegmar.Gross at informatik.hs-fulda.de
Wed Sep 3 02:02:12 PDT 2014

Hi,

since my upgrade to Mavericks I have a problem with xemacs, which
crashes with a segmentation fault, when I try to edit my C files.
My software is up-to-date.

odin:~ fd1026$ sudo port selfupdate
Password:
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
MacPorts base version 2.3.1 installed,
MacPorts base version 2.3.1 downloaded.
--->  Updating the ports tree
--->  MacPorts base is already the latest version

The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you should
run
  port upgrade outdated
odin:~ fd1026$ sudo port upgrade outdated
Nothing to upgrade.
odin:~ fd1026$

Today I found out by chance, that the crash depends on the filename
extension. If I try to open a new file "x.txt" everything is fine,
but if I try to open a new file "x.c" a crash happens.

odin:parallel fd1026$ xemacs x.txt
odin:parallel fd1026$ xemacs x.c

Fatal error (11).

Your files have been auto-saved.
Use `M-x recover-session' to recover them.

Your version of XEmacs was distributed with a PROBLEMS file that  may describe
your crash, and with luck a workaround.  Please check it first, but do report
the crash anyway.  Please report this bug by invoking M-x report-emacs-bug,
or by selecting `Send Bug Report' from the Help menu.  If necessary, send
ordinary email to `xemacs-beta at xemacs.org'.  *MAKE SURE* to include the XEmacs
configuration from M-x describe-installation, or equivalently the file
Installation in the top of the build tree.

*Please* try *hard* to obtain a C stack backtrace; without it, we are unlikely
to be able to analyze the problem.  Locate the core file produced as a result
of this crash (often called `core' or `core.<process-id>', and located in
the directory in which you started XEmacs or your home directory), and type

  gdb /opt/local/bin/xemacs core

then type `where' at the debugger prompt.  No GDB on your system?  You may
have DBX, or XDB, or SDB.  (Ask your system administrator if you need help.)
If no core file was produced, enable them (often with `ulimit -c unlimited'
in case of future recurrance of the crash.

Lisp backtrace follows:

  dispatch-non-command-events()
  # (condition-case ... . ((nil)))
  progress-feedback-dispatch-non-command-events()
  # bind (tmsg top frame value message label)
  append-progress-feedback(font-lock "Fontifying x.c..." 0 nil)
  # bind (frame value message label)
  display-progress-feedback(font-lock "Fontifying x.c..." 0)
  # bind (str)
  # (unwind-protect ...)
  # bind (args value fmt label)
  progress-feedback-with-label(font-lock "Fontifying %s..." 0 "x.c")
  # bind (maybe-loudly end beg)
  font-lock-default-unfontify-region(1 11313 t)
  # bind (loudly end beg)
  font-lock-unfontify-region(1 11313 t)
  # bind (was-on font-lock-verbose font-lock-message-threshold aborted)
  # (unwind-protect ...)
  font-lock-default-fontify-buffer()
  # bind (font-lock-verbose)
  font-lock-fontify-buffer()
  # bind (on-p maximum-size arg)
  font-lock-mode(1)
  turn-on-font-lock()
  # bind (explicit-defaults)
  font-lock-set-defaults()
  run-hooks(font-lock-set-defaults)
  # bind (nomodes after-find-file-from-revert-buffer noauto warn error)
  after-find-file(nil t)
  byte-code("..." [buffer-file-number number truename buffer-file-truename buf
  buffer-file-name set-buffer-major-mode erase-buffer nil (byte-code ??????
  ??\"????????	??\"????" [rawfile filename insert-file-contents-literally t
  insert-file-contents] 3) ((file-error ...)) abbreviate-file-name
  file-name-directory make-local-variable backup-inhibited t after-find-file
  find-file-use-truenames default-directory backup-enable-predicate rawfile
  error nowarn] 3)
  # (condition-case ... . ((t (byte-code "?!????	@	A\"??"
  ... 3))))
  # (unwind-protect ...)
  # bind (error number truename buf rawfile nowarn filename)
  find-file-noselect("/Users/fd1026/gross/parallel/x.c")
  # bind (codesys filename)
  find-file("/Users/fd1026/gross/parallel/x.c")
  # bind (dir file-count line end-of-options file-p arg tem)
  command-line-1()
  # bind (command-line-args-left)
  command-line()
  # (condition-case ... . ((t (byte-code "	??" ... 1))))
  # bind (error-data)
  normal-top-level()
  # (condition-case ... . error)
  # (catch top-level ...)
Segmentation fault: 11
odin:parallel fd1026$

I would be grateful, if somebody can fix the problem or knows
a solution if I can fix it myself. Thank you very much for any
help in advance.

Kind regards

Siegmar