renaming MacPorts' install directory - how to handle the TM backup(s)?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 07:24:09 PDT 2014

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 4:00 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I found instructions for deleting a folder from the TM backup, e.g.
> http://superuser.com/questions/577995/os-x-delete-single-folder-of-time-machine-backup-via-terminal
>
> Can I use the same approach for renaming, i.e. use the mv command instead
> of rm? And what will that do exactly? Will it rename all snapshots (so that
> I'd see the new name browsing back through history in TimeMachine)? Or will
> it only rename the latest snapshot (meaning I'd see 1 backup with the new
> name, and then the older name when browsing further backwards in time, in
> TimeMachine)?

It should affect only that snapshot. There's nothing particularly magic
about TM backups; the backup date/time is part of the path leading to the
backup, anything you do inside that backup affects only that backup, aside
from overwriting a file (you'd want to break the hardlink first if you only
want it to affect that backup, and for that-backup-and-forward you'd need
to re-hardlink the later backups with the original inode number).