Poll: Of Qt and KDE applications on OS X, and the About/Preferences menu.

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 07:39:20 PDT 2014

This is a poll addressed to people using Qt and/or KDE applications.

I'd like to get some feedback about what kind of menu organisation you would expect or like to see in those applications.

Currently, the OS X Application menu is populated with items such as About, Preferences and Quit using text-based heuristics. The first menu item that is created through Qt (and KDE) functions with a name that matches a relevant pattern is put in the Application menu. With pure Qt applications this usually works out pretty fine, but there are more than enough KDE applications where the wrong item gets put in the Application menu just because it's created before the right item. And that can lead to (unpleasant) surprises. I'm working on a workaround for that, but the best solution would be to address this in Qt.

Please think of your favourite Qt and/or KDE applications. How important is it for you that About and (in particular) the Preferences menu item are in the Application menu rather than in the place where they'd show on other platforms (Linux, MS Windows)?

thanks in advance,
René