Poll: Of Qt and KDE applications on OS X, and the About/Preferences menu.

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 17:35:25 PDT 2014

On Monday September 15 2014 17:12:41 Jerry wrote:

> I don't know where this thread is going but I for one find Qt applications as a group to be a litany of horrible insults to Mac conventions, so anything that you can do to make one more Mac-like is good. How about starting with closing the front Mac window with Command-w. That's been around only since May, 1984.

What front Mac window? I just opened a new message window in this email application that's based on Qt (kmail), and closed it with Command-w . We're not talking about these special commands here, in fact, we're not talking about shortcuts at all.

The question also isn't "should Qt apps be more or less Mac-like". It's "should Qt try to (re)interpret the developer's intentions when building menus in order to make the result LOOK more Mac-like, with the risk of messing things up". Apps that become less Mac-like when Qt's interference is reduced can always be adapted, at most that would mean duplicating a few lines at the appropriate location. Qt provides all that's needed to make very Mac-like applications.

This is a poll so I'm not going to vent my own opinion about what I expect when running an application built on a cross-platform framework like Qt ;)