Poll: Of Qt and KDE applications on OS X, and the About/Preferences menu.

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Wed Sep 17 11:14:59 PDT 2014

On Sep 17, 2014, at 12:17 PM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Working & effort: you mean taking explicit action to make an app act according to OS X guidelines rather than using a guessing algorithm?

Well sure, ideally you could convince the upstream developers to make their apps behave properly. That'd be the best solution all around.

> As maybe you've seen I have submitted a patch that deactivates the most intrusive part of Qt's guessing algorithm, leaving it up to the developer to put indicate which menu actions have About and Preferences roles. Incorporate it, and user tickets may start coming in about how this or that app no longer has its menu items "in the wrong place".

I'm not sure that this would be a big deal. I'd certainly prefer easily-closed tickets over more variants.

> One could just as well say: want to use non OS X apps on OS X? Accept that they conform to other guidelines already, or find a native alternative! ;)

> All this does beg the question: to what extent is it MacPorts' role/mission to go beyond getting apps to work on OS X, but also make them follow OS X interface guidelines? I cannot help but think of all those X11/GTk/Gnome ports, which make no such effort at all ...

There's nothing wrong with a more hands-off approach. After all, it's not our software we're packaging, and there's a good argument to be made that a half-baked "fix" is worse than no fix at all.

vq