digikam 4.3.0

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 20 04:04:41 PDT 2014

> On Sep 20, 2014, at 5:34 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>
>> things, ...). To start with it complains about something I'm not
>> familiar with: "Can't install libiodbc because conflicting ports are
>> active: unixODBC"
>
> *It* being what? I cannot recall having seen that error when I first installed a digikam port, but that was a while ago...

digikam depends on kdelibs4 which depends on soprano which depends on libiodbc. libiodbc conflicts with unixODBC. You will encounter the above error message if you already have unixODBC installed, perhaps as dependency of something else.

Many ports that depend on an ODBC implementation offer variants to select whether you want to use libiodbc or unixODBC. Unfortunately not all of those ports do, and not all of them default to the same one.

I maintain some ports that use ODBC, however I don't use ODBC and I haven't looked into the difference between the two libraries or what their respective advantages would be, so I feel unqualified to decide which should be default, or if we even need two libraries in MacPorts that do the same thing. Is there anybody who actually uses these libraries and can provide guidance?