selfupdate is not working

Garrett Honeycutt gh at garretthoneycutt.com
Tue Sep 30 08:16:15 PDT 2014

On 9/30/14 1:38 AM, Garrett Honeycutt wrote:
> On 9/29/14 3:34 PM, Garrett Honeycutt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Recently got the update for OSX 10.9.5, XCode 6.0.1 and Command Line
>> Tools (OSX 10.9) 6.0. Attempted to use MacPorts and found that it seems
>> to have broken in the process.
>>
>> Removed all the directories as according to the guide[1]. Reinstalled
>> from MacPorts-2.3.1-10.9-Mavericks.pkg.
>>
>> selfupdate seems to have an error related to the rsync, though I can run
>> the rsync itself with no issues. Info below also available at pastebin[2].
>>
>> bam:~$ sudo port -d selfupdate
>> DEBUG: Copying /Users/gh/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist to
>> /opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences
>> DEBUG: MacPorts sources location:
>> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs
>> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
>> Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after
>> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/base.tar
>> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs
>> Exit code: 1
>> DEBUG: Error synchronizing MacPorts sources: command execution failed
>>     while executing
>> "macports::selfupdate [array get global_options] base_updated"
>> Error: Error synchronizing MacPorts sources: command execution failed
>> To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
>>     http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
>> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error synchronizing
>> MacPorts sources: command execution failed
>>
>> bam:~$ sudo /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after
>> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/base.tar
>> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs
>> receiving file list ... done
>>
>> sent 36 bytes  received 69 bytes  70.00 bytes/sec
>> total size is 27002880  speedup is 257170.29
>> bam:~$ echo $?
>> 0
>>
>> bam:~$ xcodebuild -version
>> Xcode 6.0.1
>> Build version 6A317
>>
>> bam:~$ facter (some of the output)
>>
>> macosx_buildversion => 13F34
>> macosx_productname => Mac OS X
>> macosx_productversion => 10.9.5
>> operatingsystem => Darwin
>> operatingsystemrelease => 13.4.0
>>

>> [1] -
>> https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html
>>
>> [2] - http://pastebin.com/nHtTzYpV
>>
>> Appreciate the help,
>> -g
>>

> Hi,
>
> Is there any other info that I could provide to help solve this?
>
> Thanks,
> -g

I had relinked /bin/sh to MacPorts' bash in /opt/local/bin/bash to deal
with shellshock and when MacPorts was uninstalled, I lost /bin/sh. The
error should have read that it was unable to spawn a shell, but instead
read that the error was with rsync.

If you see this error, check that /bin/sh works for you.

Regards,
-g

--
Garrett Honeycutt