selfupdate is not working

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Sep 30 14:12:45 PDT 2014

In article
<CAKFCL4Xoq+ksMPLqL8sDGwLiAKDf8572WqKNNo7iCZMA5hDCxA at mail.gmail.com>,
 Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6495
> sigh.
>
> Yes, I know about the patches. And I know why they didn't do the switch,
> especially considering that it's normally too large a change to consider
> without a major release as opposed to a patch... but IMO bash as /bin/sh is
> so boneheaded as to be worth an exception. (Yes, I feel this way about
> Linux as well. I was fully supportive when Debian switched its /bin/sh to
> dash.)

You know and I know that ain't gonna happen.  On the other hand, I
believe it is true that OS X systems are, in general, less likely to be
vulnerable to bash security issues in that (1) bash is likely less used
for system daemons et al, in part thanks to launchd and (2) most OS X
users don't (know to) open up their systems (and their network
firewalls) to potentially dangerous network services.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org