Alternatives for outdated assembler (AS)?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 01:11:30 PDT 2015

On Friday April 10 2015 03:53:44 Jeffrey Walton wrote:

>Upgrading to 10.9 is really not an option for me. There's too much
>cloud integration, and I want to keep my data safer than that. Plus, I
>have absolutely no trust for Apple keeping my keychain safe in the
>cloud. I'll probably never move beyond OS X 10.8.

Nothing to do with the OT, but you don't have to use any of those features. The easiest would be to remove your iCloud ID altogether, but even if you keep it the really sensitive features are inactive by default. It's just as with Google Chrome: for now I can chose to keep certain things private to my own machines and the day that's no longer an option will be the day I stop using the product.
I find it more troublesome that all Apple "internet clients" now configure their accounts through Sys Prefs, as if that data is part of the OS settings. It means I stopped using Apple Mail, though the main reason for that was that somewhere between 10.6 and 10.9 it lost the capability NOT to cache all messages locally (even those from an imap account on localhost ...)
System integration with social networks is worrisome too, but there too you're not obliged to configure any accounts (and there's a "social pushy" launch agent or daemon somewhere that you can disable without adverse effects).

R.