migration question

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 03:13:02 PDT 2015

I have wine installed, which means I get a ****load of universal variants that I would otherwise be able to avoid, including a number of big ones like ffmpeg and gtk . KDE ports provide their documentation through a variant, so most of those will be built from source too (even those I don't run personal versions of). So I have everything to gain by any kind of possibility that would allow me to prepare the migration as far as that's possible.

>take stock of the ports you've installed any maybe cull some you don't need anymore.

I do that periodically when I see the footprint on disk. It's rare though that I can really cull anything that makes a difference.

>I'm not going to discuss ways of circumventing the migration strategy.

I'm not planning to circumvent the underlying principle of rebuilding, just trying to find out to what extent rebuilding against the newer SDK can be done "prematurely", spreading out the computing time and resources, and evidently not with ports that contain OS-specific code, variants or whatever.

I did this step for the 10.6 -> 10.9 upgrade in a VM ... I'll probably be adapting to 10.10 in a VM too (for lack of a 2nd Mac or Hackintosh) and just might see how far I'll get with applying the migration guide step by step, as part of a selfupdate (which I haven't been doing since january or so...)