transfer /opt/local to another machine

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 12 19:04:14 PDT 2015

On Apr 12, 2015, at 5:54 AM, j. van den hoff wrote:

> I just have upgraded two x86_64 machines from 10.9. to 10.10.3 and upgraded one of them according to the migration guide (i.e. uninstalled/reinstalled all ~ 800 macports packages). this took an astonishing long time (over night, basically) partly due to a multi-hour recompilation of the `atlas' library. and that was on the faster machine with an SSD...

This is intentional, because atlas is performance-sensitive, so the port is deliberately programmed to not use precompiled binaries from our build server, and to instead build on your computer. My understanding is that the build process builds atlas many times, with different compiler settings, then tries out each one to see which one is actually fastest on your particular computer, then installs that one. That's why it takes so long.

> one marginal observation I made: after `port deactivate installed' when executing `port installed active' I receive the message "None of the specified ports are installed." which probably should read "None of the specified ports are active." or "No ports are active.".

The message is correct. You ran the "installed" command, and as an argument you specified the list of ports you wanted installation details for, namely, the list of active ports. The list of active ports is empty, so it is correct, in a way, for MacPorts to say that none of the zero ports specified are installed. If anything, the message could be clarified to read "No ports were specified" or maybe "The list of specified ports is empty."