what was up with ntp again?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Apr 29 12:07:37 PDT 2015

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> pacemaker *only* does the local time update stuff, not the network-based
> stuff or determining the exact updates to be done; it gets those from
> ntpd.

Hmmm...

ozzie:~ dave$ ps ax | egrep -i "ntpd|pacemaker"
  197   ??  Ss     0:05.13 /usr/sbin/ntpd -c /private/etc/ntp-restrict.conf -n -g -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -f /var/db/ntp.drift
 3161 s002  S+     0:00.01 egrep -i ntpd|pacemaker

Np sign of "pacemaker".

ozzie:~ dave$ ls -l /var/db/ntp.drift
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  8 Apr 28 10:38 /var/db/ntp.drift

The drift file is being maintained.

ozzie:~ dave$ cat /var/db/ntp.drift
-52.896

Dunno how good that is.

I don't seem to be running "pacemaker", and I've never turned it off
because I've yet to understand how "launchd" works (I'm a traditional Unix
bod, still coming to grips with the idiosyncrasies of the Mac).

This box is as bog-standard as possible.

Does this mean that my clock is not being synchronised at all, and just
happens to be more or less accurate, after having bedded down for 5 years?

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)   "Those who don't understand security will suffer."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)