apple-gcc42 fails to build

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Aug 16 17:15:40 PDT 2015

On Aug 16, 2015, at 8:14 AM, Thomas Ruedas wrote:

> in the process of trying to upgrade Gnuplot via Macports (v.2.3.3), a long, long list of other packages needed to be (re)built as well, among them apple-gcc42. That build fails after some time; the last part of the logfile, which seems to contain the information pertaining to the problem is included below. The system is a MacBook Pro (Intel) running 10.5.8, and I do have the Xcode version recommended for my system (v.3.1) installed.
> It seems that build problems with apple-gcc42 have arisen before, but what I found on the web was old and related to outdated versions of Macports, so I couldn't find something that seems to apply to this. Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Thomas
>
> From the logfile:
> :info:build + cp -p /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib ./opt/local/lib/apple-gcc42/gcc/i686-apple-darwin9/4.2.1/libstdc++.dylib
> :info:build + /opt/local/bin/strip -x -c ./opt/local/lib/apple-gcc42/gcc/i686-apple-darwin9/4.2.1/libstdc++.dylib

I see another report of that issue:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/36648

However we were unable to reproduce it.

One suggestion in that ticket is to make sure you have the latest Xcode. Do you? The latest Xcode for Leopard is 3.1.4. Even if you already have 3.1.4, it couldn't hurt to try reinstalling it; perhaps something is corrupt and reinstalling would fix it.