apple-gcc42 fails to build

Thomas Ruedas trg818 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 07:36:28 PDT 2015

Hi again,
thanks for the pointer concerning the Apple ID. Turns out, I had to use
Safari instead of my ancient Firefox to make the login work.
> One suggestion in that ticket is to make sure you have the latest Xcode. Do you?
> The latest Xcode for Leopard is 3.1.4. Even if you already have 3.1.4, it couldn't
> hurt to try reinstalling it; perhaps something is corrupt and reinstalling would fix it.
Just to be sure, I downloaded and re-installed Xcode again, made a
sudo port clean apple-gcc42
and
sudo port install apple-gcc42
but it failed again in the same way. I wonder why gcc42 is needed in the
first place, when the most recent version of gcc is much newer (isn't it?).
Anyway, I observe that apple-gcc42 depends on ld64 and cctools. I did
notice in my long upgrade attempt yesterday that there was a conflict
with cctools:
--->  Installing libmacho-headers @862_2
--->  Cleaning libmacho-headers
--->  Deactivating cctools-headers @855_0
--->  Unable to deactivate cctools-headers @855_0, the following ports
depend on it:
--->  	cctools @855_1+llvm33
Warning: Deactivate forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Cleaning cctools-headers
--->  Activating libmacho-headers @862_2

although a bit later, just before trying to install apple-gcc42 there was:
--->  Installing cctools @862_1+llvm33
--->  Cleaning cctools
--->  Computing dependencies for cctools
--->  Deactivating cctools @855_1+llvm33
--->  Cleaning cctools
--->  Activating cctools @862_1+llvm33

so maybe that part was ok after all.