OS X 10.11 status

Dominik Reichardt domiman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 08:53:15 PDT 2015

> Am 19.08.2015 um 17:18 schrieb Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>:
>

>> On 19/08/15 16:13, C.T. wrote:
>>
>>> Experience: 10.11 is still in beta, and it shows. With XCode beta, expect HOURS of compilations for a mere update, and many manual operations since MacPorts doesn’t yet recognizes El Capitan
>
> I disagree on two of the three points.
>
> Yes, you should expect to compile all ports as there are no binary archives as of yet.
>
> However, as long as you have the correct Xcode installed (the latest beta) and have installed MacPorts from source, it works just as smoothly in a VM where I am testing it as in the host OSX10.10 machine.
>
> Yes its beta, but I've not had any significant issues in the limited playing I have done in the VM ...
>
> Chris

Thanks,
yes, I know it is beta - that doesn't put me off very much, I've used previous betas since 10.7, so I know what to expect. Mostly at this stage it was ok.
Whether I migrate during the beta and compile everything or later with the finished system, doesn't matter much to me anyway. Since I tend to need +universal or some other variant, I need to compile most ports instead of just getting the binaries. Also I'm not using that many ports, Gimp is the one with the biggest dependencies...

So, seems like I'll backup and jump...

Thanks again