Warning, reconsider doing an upgrade to a port

Kevin Reid kpreid at switchb.org
Thu Aug 27 14:27:37 PDT 2015

On Aug 27, 2015, at 13:00, - <dandunfee at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did a :
> sudo port upgrade alpine
>
> And it appears it is trying to install countless ports completely unrelated to the port requested.
>
> For example it installed "lame" an audio manipulation port which has nothing to do with alpine an email client.

You can find out what installed ports require a given port by the command "port rdependents".

    $ port rdependents lame

alpine doesn't depend on lame, so there must be something else involved -- perhaps rebuilding broken ports as previously suggested, which is done for all ports after installation/upgrade. (There is a message that it is doing this.)

In any case, "port upgrade" will NOT install things for no reason.

I recommend first uninstalling things you don't need and are not dependencies, if you want to, and then upgrading everything. You can get a list of ports you have previously asked to install with:

   $ port echo requested

You can get a list of ports that are installed but neither requested by you nor depended on by anything else with:

   $ port echo leaves

or uninstall them with:

   $ sudo port uninstall leaves

--