Is it possible to have X11 and Quartz side-by-side?

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 06:46:47 PST 2015

Hi all,

I have recently changed to Quartz, a process started with the command suggested here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.macports.user/39617

After some kinks, it all works fine now. However, I now want to install a port that depends on x11 (PyMol). If I try this, the install crashes with the message:

--->  Rebuilding in order
     gtksourceview2 @2.10.5
     py27-pygtksourceview @2.10.1
     gwenhywfar4-gtk @4.14.0
     webkit-gtk @2.4.9 +video
Error: org.macports.archivefetch for port gtksourceview2 returned: gtk2 must be installed with +x11.

The version i have now is:

$ port installed gtk2
  gtk2 @2.24.28_1+quartz (active)

If I try to install gtk2 to be compatible with both quartz and x11, I get:

$ sudo port install gtk2 +quartz +x11
Password:
Error: gtk2: Variant quartz conflicts with x11
Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants

So, to install PyMol, will i need to uninstall everything that now is working with quartz to reinstall it with x11? Os is there a way to have them working side-by-side?

Thanks,
Gustavo Seabra