user macports problem after migration to new Mac

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 14:42:26 PST 2015

Should I be able to see a user “macports” in System Preferences > Users & Groups?

I see no such.

However, under /Users there is a directory “macports” owned by macports:staff. It has with subdirectories Desktop, Documents, …Sites , which are all owned by macports:staff, as is that directory “macports” itself.

Each of those subdirectories contains a single file, “.localized”.

I ask the question because of an issue that arose when I migrated everything fom an old Mac to a new one via a Time Machine backup. Migration Assistant said there was a problem with user macports.

After migration, there was no directory /opt/local/var/macports, yet the port command seems to work OK, including for upgrading outdated ports.

To create the missing  /opt/local/var/macports, I ran:

% sudo mkdir -p /opt/local/var/macports/home
% sudo chown macports:macports /opt/local/var/macports/home

After that I get:

    $ id macports
uid=504(macports) gid=501(macports) groups=501(macports),12(everyone),61(localaccounts),701(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1),702(com.apple.sharepoint.group.2),100(_lpoperator)

  $ echo -macports
-macports

[NOTE: not pointing to anything]

    $ ls -al -macports
[ lists almost everything in _my_ home directory! ]

   $ sudo ls -Rl /opt/local/var/macports/home
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  admin  102 Dec 10 16:01 Library

/opt/local/var/macports/home/Library:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  admin  68 Dec 10 17:18 Preferences

/opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences:

Is there something that needs to be fixed and, if so, how?

(I sure hope I don’t have to follow the Macports migration procedure again, to reinstall all my ports, as I had just done that on the old Mac when I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan.)