Trouble with amavisd-new - won't start because of errors

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sat Dec 12 09:46:46 PST 2015

On 12/12/15 7:47 AM, David Evans wrote:

>> also - the amavisd.conf file is being looked for in /etc by the program. Not by a setting anywhere from me.
>
> This path is apparently hard coded in amavisd-new.  Will fix this and advise.
>
> Dave

OK, I made some more changes to address the issue of hard coded paths.

https://trac.macports.org/changeset/143447

The default config file path is now ${prefix}/etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf which is where it is installed.  You may want
to edit this for your needs -- its just the default configure file that the distribution provides.

This allowed me to run sudo /opt/local/sbin/amavisd -h without error.

If you want to use another config file (in your $HOME directory, for instance), you can specify it by running

amavisd-new -c <path/to/your/amavisd.conf>

To get the updated version of amavisd-new

sudo port selfupdate
sudo port upgrade amavisd-new

There's a lot of pieces for amavisd to come together properly, so you may find some more problems down the line. If so,
I suggest you file a ticket copying the port maintainer, so we can track the issue more easily.

See https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets for instructions.

Dave