too many dependencies

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sun Dec 13 04:29:12 PST 2015

> On Dec 13, 2015, at 06:27, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:
>
> I just selfupdated 2.3.4 on my MacOSX 10.5.8
> an try to install autogen.
>
> hans at mac:~$ sudo port install autogen
> --->  Computing dependencies for autogen
> --->  Dependencies to be installed: guile libunistring texlive-basic texlive-bin cairo xorg-libXext xorg-libX11 xorg-bigreqsproto xorg-inputproto xorg-kbproto xorg-libXau xorg-xproto xorg-libXdmcp xorg-libxcb xorg-libpthread-stubs xorg-xcb-proto libxml2 xz xorg-util-macros xorg-xcmiscproto xorg-xextproto xorg-xf86bigfontproto xorg-xtrans xorg-xcb-util xrender xorg-renderproto ghostscript jbig2dec jpeg perl5 tiff xorg-libXt xorg-libsm xorg-libice graphite2 cmake libarchive lzo2 harfbuzz harfbuzz-icu icu libzzip xmlto docbook-xml docbook-xml-4.1.2 docbook-xml-4.2 xmlcatmgr docbook-xml-4.3 docbook-xml-4.4 docbook-xml-4.5 docbook-xml-5.0 docbook-xsl findutils fop getopt libxslt mpfr poppler gobject-introspection py27-mako py27-beaker py27-setuptools py27-markupsafe lcms2 openjpeg15 jbigkit poppler-data potrace texlive-common xorg-libXaw groff netpbm jasper libnetpbm subversion apr apr-util db46 cyrus-sasl2 serf1 scons xorg-libXmu xpm xorg-libXi xorg-libXfixes xorg-fixesproto xorg
> -libXp xorg-printproto readline
> --->  Configuring xorg-bigreqsproto
> --->  Building xorg-bigreqsproto
> --->  Staging xorg-bigreqsproto into destroot
> --->  Installing xorg-bigreqsproto @1.1.2_0
> --->  Activating xorg-bigreqsproto @1.1.2_0
> --->  Cleaning xorg-bigreqsproto
> --->  Fetching archive for xorg-inputproto
>
> Surely the xorg-* ports have nothing to do with it.
> Why is macports considerr them as dependencies?
>
> 	Jan

After pruning down the 9000+ lines of output from
port rdeps --full autogen

I came up with a chain of dependencies like:
autogen
  guile
    libunistring
      texlive-basic
        texlive-bin
          poppler
            cairo
              xrender
                xorg-libX11
                  xorg-xtrans
                  xorg-bigreqsproto
[...]

which is to say, it's doing what it's supposed to do.

You can follow that by repeatedly doing port info on each of the above, and looking for yourself at the dependencies. :-)