autogen rdeps

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Dec 13 09:56:20 PST 2015

On 2015-12-13 15:25, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Dec 13 07:32:59, ryandesign at macports.org wrote:
>> On Dec 13, 2015, at 06:40, Jan Stary wrote:
>>>
>>> This is just insane.
>>> I need jpeg and the whole TeX suite to install autoconf?
>>
>> No, you (apparently) need them to install autogen. autogen and autoconf are different software,
>> available in different ports. If you want autoconf, install the autoconf port.
>
> Sorry, that's a typo - I meant autogen.

If there are no binary archives available (MacPorts do not provide them
for 10.5.x), all ports will be compiled from source, which may include
ports as additional build dependencies that are no longer needed at
runtime. If you are used to other distributions with binary packages
only, this might seem insane to you, but this just cannot be avoided for
a source-based distribution.

Yes, you need these dependencies. They are used to build the
documentation (man pages, possibly HTML, API docs, etc.) in these ports.

About the xorg-* ports discussed earlier in this thread:
http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#x11-libs

Rainer