X start up issues

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 16 05:11:36 PST 2015

Remember to use the Reply All function so that the conversation stays on the mailing list.

> On Dec 16, 2015, at 6:53 AM, jam at tigger.ws wrote:
>

>> On 16 Dec 2015, at 6:53 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On Dec 15, 2015, at 11:27 PM, jam at tigger.ws wrote:
>>>

>>> First thanks for all the wise words.
>>> My *biggest* problem is that one login all works the next login it does not!
>>>
>>> Trying desperate measures I upgraded to el Capitan installed the correct macports dmg.
>>> Many ports eg wget do build. qt5 fails to build. gnuplot fails to build (the latest ticket says do selfupdate all is fixed, but it is not)
>>>
>>> Many tries later so the peamble is done:

>>> I executed the command that was logged as failed, everything worked perfectly.
>>>
>>> Now I need advise from people here please:
>>>
>>> I’ll format the disk and start from scratch (I do have a time machine backup)
>>> If people have made qt5 and gnuplot work with el Capitan I will install that else I’ll do yosemite.
>>>
>>> The reply about the SDKs looks right and I will do that (thanks).
>>
>> If a port doesn't build, please file a ticket in our issue tracker per the instructions in the guide. There's no need to anything so drastic as erasing your entire disk and starting over, and no reason at this point to believe, without having seen the logs of what issues you're actually experiencing, that that would solve anything.
>
> Ryan bless yah for being so kind and caring.
> There are duplicate tickets filed under gnuplot does not build under el Capitan. They are ‘resolved’ by port selfupdate. (sic)

The only ticket I saw about a build failure of gnuplot on El Capitan was not specific to gnuplot; it was specific to Lua 5.3, and it was fixed.

You are not experiencing a build failure of gnuplot; you are experiencing a build failure of its dependency aquaterm. I see a ticket filed about that:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/50040

In that person's case, they are using Xcode 7.2, and are experiencing the known bug with Xcode 7.2. I posted a workaround to the ticket. Apple will fix that problem in a subsequent version of Xcode.

I don't know if the problem you're experiencing is the one in that ticket because I have not seen your main.log file, but if your main.log file contains any mention of "CoreSimulator" then it's probably the same problem and the same fix should work for you.

> I’m starting to wonder if my chequered history starting with Snow Leopard is the cause of the unreasonable number of woes that I’m seeing. A clean disk install would sort that out.

I would not suspect that as a problem at this point. The OS is designed to be upgraded.

> There are no posted ‘fixes’ for qt5-mac fails to build under el Capitan.

Unfortunately that's out of our control; it's up to the developers of Qt 5 to make it compatible with El Capitan. Qt is an enormous software package and I can understand their position of wanting to support only known good versions of OS X, and El Capitan had only just been released when Qt 5.5.1 was released, so they may not have had time to test it yet, or they may have found problems they needed to fix. Hopefully they will release a new version soon that is supported on El Capitan.

> I have built both gnuplot and qt5 under yosimite (actually they installed from the build-bots). Both were clean and straight forward. Sooo el Capitan seems to be the sticking point BUT X wont consistently start under yosemite.
>
> If anyone declared ‘I’ve built qt5/gnuplot’ then I’m prepared to go the el Capitan route else I’ll retreat to yosemite.

gnuplot is installed on my El Capitan machine. I'm still running Xcode 7.1.1 because I don't want to deal with the known bug in Xcode 7.2.