Debugging a port; commands to rebuild

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 17 10:30:23 PST 2015

On Dec 17, 2015, at 11:33 AM, Clemens Lang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 03:27:27AM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> I think you can just "touch /path/to/Portfile".
>>
>> Brandon, I'm assuming Justin has made changes to the source files in
>> the work directory that he now wants to try to build. If he touches
>> the portfile, MacPorts will clean the work directory and try again,
>> wiping out the changes he wants to test.
>
> Touching the Portfile may not be enough since we started using checksums
> in the statefile.

Uh, true. I misread that as "change the portfile". Just touching the portfile without changing its contents does nothing as far as the current version of MacPorts is concerned. MacPorts used to compare the modification date of the portfile with the modification date of the statefile, but now it compares the checksum of the portfile's contents with the checksum recorded in the statefile.

> A whitespace-only modification of the Portfile in
> combination with port -o will work, but it's a tedious process.

If the goal is to clean the work directory, change the portfile or run "sudo port clean" before fetching/extracting/patching/configuring/building/destrooting/installing.

If the goal is not to clean the work directory, don't change the portfile or use the "-o" flag when fetching/extracting/patching/configuring/building/destrooting/installing.