port selfupdate not working Yosemite 10.10.5

Mr. Michael Wilson mtwilson.1200 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 16:08:58 PST 2015

I had not updated my ports in a while and when I tried I got this with sudo port -v selfupdate...

--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
receiving file list ... done

sent 36 bytes  received 69 bytes  19.09 bytes/sec
total size is 27013120  speedup is 257267.81
receiving file list ... done

sent 36 bytes  received 76 bytes  24.89 bytes/sec
total size is 512  speedup is 4.57
Error: can't create directory "/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/tmp": permission denied
To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: can't create directory "/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/tmp": permission denied

I also wasn’t able to uninstall via the cmd line so I pulled macports out of the var folder and reinstalled with a dmg of the current version of macports. When I went to run the code again, I got the same message. I have checked all of the folder permissions and they seem fine. Any thoughts?

Mike