can't start mysql56 after move datadir

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 21:10:56 PST 2015

User _mysql owns /Volumes/MacHD/Users/thisuser/Databases/mysql/data. And also everything within that directory.

Do I also need to give the group _mysql read permission to some or all of /Volumes, /Volumes/MacHD, /Volumes/MacHD/Users, /Volumes/MacHD/Users/thisuser, /Volumes/MacHD/Users/thisuser/mysql ?

If so, might that be dangerous?

> On 13 Feb2015, at 12:03 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Feb 12, 2015, at 4:05 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>
>> After upgrading from OS X Mavericks to Yosemite, I did the standard procedure for migrating macports. But I found that the mysql server would not start. So I uninstalled mysql56 completely and installed anew. Worked just fine.
>>
>> But, I want my datadir to be someplace else from the default, so I edited my.cnf as shown below, then did an _exact_ copy (* preserving permissions *) of /opt/local/var/db/mysql56 to new location ~/Databases/mysql/data, i.e.,
>> /Volumes/MacHD/Users/thisuser/Databases/mysql/data.
>
> Does the _mysql user have permission to read every directory up to /Volumes/MacHD/Users/thisuser/Databases/mysql/data?

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101		Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334